Saturday, 12 November 2016

La Belle Saison – Patricia Atkinson



I have finished to read the book of Patricia Atkinson having a French title even in English version – La Belle Saison. It is a second part of the book The Ripening Sun: One Woman and the Creation of a Vineyard. I didn't read first part, but I'm going to do that.

It is the biography of an English woman who decided to go to France and create her new life there. In La Belle Saison we can read about the continuation of her adventures with the management of vineyard in the south of France.

Patricia's life is very interesting. She always does something. What's more, she tells about it with details so we can learn a lot about the culture in France, in particular in the countryside. She descovers how to pick the truffles, how to eat it. We can also learn a lot about oysters, because she tells about lifting them from the sea. If she is the proprietor of the vineyard, we can also read many things about the grapevines et the wine.
Many time she takes part in a hunting so we can discover the details of this activity.
Apart from all this information about all the events, we can also learn some French words which are well explicated. This is very particular vocabulary but also the names of French dishes which are not known in Poland.

This book absorbed me, it was very interesting to broad my horizons about France, French culture, French vocabulary and also the specificity of French people in the south.
The book is beautifully written and I think that I will return to it many times.


1 comment:

  1. This book seems to be very interesting. I think that I have something in common with this women, because I really like adventures and if they make us learn of something it is even better. I will definitely read it!

    ReplyDelete